About the Relle

Born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand I was nearing my completion of the tried and true steps to becoming an adult. University? check! Job of 2 years? Check! Living independently away from home? Check! Ready for something more challenging and a whole lot bigger than Auckland, I moved to Berlin in April 2010. As a Kiwi, avoiding an OE is about as unlikely as Tom Cruise converting to sanity, although choosing Berlin made for a pretty bold move. Not being ready for adulthood and frightened by the multitude of friends marrying and contemplating children..it was time to gap. Armed with very little comprehension of the German language but a big yearning for all things unknown we set off on one big year adventure. I aim to provide insight into life on the other side and hopefully convince all those doubtful kids out there that you can conquer Berlin!


03 January 2011

farewell twenty ten



More after the jump....




Lighting fireworks on our deck
Our firework launcher
Considering the year of 2010 served me very well indeed..with all the new countries I saw, new friends I made and challenges I overcame living in a foreign country.  The style in which I sent it off wasn't at all testimonial to my gratitude.

Unfortunately our New Years was a little (or a lot) low key in comparison to past years.  I wasn't my usual excited self, having being sick with the flu since London and feeling run down.  The night before NY I hesitantly threw together a plan and flicked off an email. Most friends were more organized than us but a couple others hadn't planned anything so joined in.  Although the bar we'd chosen was a really cool spot in the centre of fireworks mayhem, we piked pretty early.  Our tummy's called so we all ended up chowing down burgers on a Kreuzberg corner.  While neither of us were feeling particularly geared up for a big night, we made tracks back to our hood with the prospect of joining in the chaos and letting off some fireworks ourselves.

Midnight came and went, the fireworks around Berlin persisted until the wee hours of the morning and while Daniel slept off the flu I sat and contemplated new year resolutions(several).

No comments:

Post a Comment