About the Relle

Born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand I was nearing my completion of the tried and true steps to becoming an adult. University? check! Job of 2 years? Check! Living independently away from home? Check! Ready for something more challenging and a whole lot bigger than Auckland, I moved to Berlin in April 2010. As a Kiwi, avoiding an OE is about as unlikely as Tom Cruise converting to sanity, although choosing Berlin made for a pretty bold move. Not being ready for adulthood and frightened by the multitude of friends marrying and contemplating children..it was time to gap. Armed with very little comprehension of the German language but a big yearning for all things unknown we set off on one big year adventure. I aim to provide insight into life on the other side and hopefully convince all those doubtful kids out there that you can conquer Berlin!


18 November 2010

M.I.A

Berliners from all different boroughs ventured out into the cold cold 4degrees to see the much anticipated Mathangi Arulpragasam (M.I.A) kick it at Huxley's.  Her music is described as hip-hop, electric, dance, alternative and recently my Itunes took it upon itself to categorize M.I.A  as world?

More after the jump...including video footage of Galang.

Those at Huxley's saw her perform a load of songs from her new album, Maya (2010) and a few from both Arular (2005) and Kala (2007).  The new songs have a pretty differnt sound from her past albums.  I can't quite put it into words but I almost felt over-stimulated listening to it, the sound is incredibly mechanical.  Steppin' Up is a pretty dope beat though with plenty of remixes out there - hit youtube up!


While she didn't disappoint in the outfit department or quality of performance, I just couldn't really hear her singing an awful lot.  The sound guys either needed to crank the mic up or she was just taking it easy with a few songs..completely missing out verses!  She sang a good mix of beats from all 3 albums, obviously promoting more of her new album.  I would have liked a few more of my fav's; Bamboo Banga, Big Branch, Hombre, Pull up the people, Bird Flu and 10Dollar.  She did an amazing job of Galang, her dance moves are way too cool for school.

In summary M.I.A should stick to performing her old stuff (there's a reason the new album Maya only got 4.4 from a recent Pitchfork rating).  She should also continue with her sweet dance moves and tour with Rye Rye next time!

Apologies for the wobble whilst filming Galang, truth is the floor was shaking I was actually holding still ahhhhhhhh I knoooow:) Crazy fun.



M.I.A - Galang

Interesting fact of the day: M.I.A is considered a refugee icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment