About the Relle

Born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand I was nearing my completion of the tried and true steps to becoming an adult. University? check! Job of 2 years? Check! Living independently away from home? Check! Ready for something more challenging and a whole lot bigger than Auckland, I moved to Berlin in April 2010. As a Kiwi, avoiding an OE is about as unlikely as Tom Cruise converting to sanity, although choosing Berlin made for a pretty bold move. Not being ready for adulthood and frightened by the multitude of friends marrying and contemplating children..it was time to gap. Armed with very little comprehension of the German language but a big yearning for all things unknown we set off on one big year adventure. I aim to provide insight into life on the other side and hopefully convince all those doubtful kids out there that you can conquer Berlin!


12 September 2010

I have been in ilegal parties better organised than Berlin Festival 2010

The very deserving title I have given this post is a newly birthed facebook group that I just became a member of!

Edwyn Collins yay
Terrible organization aside, I'm here to share all the spectacular moments..drool worthy riffs..pumping beats and all around deep satisfaction with yesterday's line-up. 
Let me begin with Edwyn Collins, "A girl like you", possibly one of the most satisfying singles to have ever graced this planet and yesterday was a fine execution of the song.  I'll admit I was a little shocked to see him limp out using a cane and what appeared to be little control of the right side of this body.  To satisfy my curiosity I found out that 2005 Collins suffered 2 major cerebral hemorrhages and underwent intensive neurological rehab.  While he had to take a seat during the performance and spoke to the crowd with a notable slur, unbelievably his booming singing voice was unaffected.  Video link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VB-i5au9k

Next up was The Morning Benders, an indie rock band from Berkeley California made up of 4 young talented guys.  The lead singer is beyond cool, clearly seriously passionate and this is portrayed in his dance moves and facials which made for a rich performance.  Do I have a crush on the lead singer or The Morning Benders?

Due to some unforeseen technical difficulties Neon Indian took roughly 40  minutes to set-up..spewed out about 4 songs then had to pack and gap.  Disappointed..I was just getting started and didn't even hear Deadbeat Summer booooooo.  He had killer moves though, I asked Dan if it were possible he perform a rendition when we get home..just for fun.

Fang Island,  I was pretty excited about these guys anyway and boy did they deliver.  I was blown away, 3 guitars, bass, keyboard and drum kit their music is termed math rock and at times their songs sound near tribal, not for everyone but a must for biking around Berlin:)

Daniel checked out Boysnoize and I stayed to see We Have Band only to be disappointed by yet another change to the schedule, that's a change upon a brand new line-up schedule ahhh idiots!  What I did watch was the entire band set-up for some unknowns who they slotted on stage in place of We Have Band without informing anyone.  Anyway so I saw a little of Boysnoize while waiting for Hot Chip to begin.  Honestly I had high hopes and walking over I could hear some raw base lines and the crowd was pumping.  However, as I approached he had changed his tact to cheesy euro electro which ze Germans were going wild over but I was not so impressed.

Sadly my only Hot Chip photo
The main stage was pretty packed out for Hot Chip and given the entire Saturday schedule had been changed that morning and they were the last performance, the crowd was pumping.  Their performance flawless, their dance moves ridiculous (especially the main keyboardist!), their crowd interaction wunderbag (they attempted some 'Guten tag's' and 'Danke's').  They played all my favourites bar one, unfortunately the rubbish camera died but I managed to get a few seconds of sweet Hot Chip footage.  I hope you really enjoy.

Oh yes and word is, if we keep our wrist bands on there may be some kind of compensation.  Given they canned Fat Boy Slim moments before the scheduled 3:30am performance.  Then changed Saturday's line-up on the morning and shaved 8 hours off the festival (originally finishing 7am Sunday, rescheduled to finish 11pm Saturday), 1 word for the organizers..ROOKIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment