About the Relle

Born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand I was nearing my completion of the tried and true steps to becoming an adult. University? check! Job of 2 years? Check! Living independently away from home? Check! Ready for something more challenging and a whole lot bigger than Auckland, I moved to Berlin in April 2010. As a Kiwi, avoiding an OE is about as unlikely as Tom Cruise converting to sanity, although choosing Berlin made for a pretty bold move. Not being ready for adulthood and frightened by the multitude of friends marrying and contemplating children..it was time to gap. Armed with very little comprehension of the German language but a big yearning for all things unknown we set off on one big year adventure. I aim to provide insight into life on the other side and hopefully convince all those doubtful kids out there that you can conquer Berlin!


11 September 2010

Berlin Festival..yes oh yes

Hi friends,

First night down with a ripe home arrival time of 2am and an epic night 2..waiting in the wing.  Last night it was unexpected cool, the set-up was unbelievable.  Berlin Festival 2010 is held at an old and somewhat abandoned airport in Berlin named Tempelhof.  Mostly we hear stories of friends grilling at Tempelhof but haven't ventured out there yet. 
No better way to be acquainted than attend a Fest with a line-up to boast home about.  Everyone else in Berlin was obviously also excited as I waited in one of the biggest lines in a long time.  Alas, I had company and it was a magnificent moment as the big Tempelhof entrance stood before me in all it's airport glory.  They scanned my ticket and I was check-out bound to receive my arm-band.  On the flight arrivals board all the bands were listed.
You'll have to trust my description because we borrowed a camera which was utter rubbish and I couldn't get any good snappy's.  In terms of stage set-up it was cool, big main stage, 2 hangars, mobile disco and big dance floor with intense lighting.  There were still some old planes in the background sitting out on the grass..well and truly fenced off.  Friday's line-up for me was decidedly a warm-up for Saturday, but still good times.  First stop Robyn, where I was serenaded with all her hit pop songs, less desirable ballads and I failed to stick around for konichiwa bitches (boohoo).  Next I had it all planned to see Fever Ray and Atari Teenage Riot but unfortunately couldn't even get through the check-gate for the hangar.  They had this stupid rule of only letting people through to the stage when people came out.  This plan would work if all 3 stages had bands going on but they had lag times in between acts and only 1 stage with 2 big acts in a row.  My question was..who's going to leave an amping stage and venture elsewhere where no acts were on?  This was very illogical and although I do realize they feel the need to step it up since the tragedy that was the Love Parade tramplings, (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10753448) I missed out on seeing the grim and kooky Fever Ray!  I was angered beyond return so I had no choice but to get down with fellow Berliners to some sweet sweet Warren G Nate Dogg Regulate ohhhh yesssss.
Admittedly, love love the over-exposure in these piccy's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF74D3kbbTI&feature=related 


Caribou were beyond cool, on the down side they were a little self indulgent.  I myself would have preferred to party to Caribou but instead got a little bit party and a big bit really long at time boring solo's where they were getting all up in their beats..amazing beats nevertheless. I ate a great kebab at midnight and met a Kiwi in line while waiting, he told me to add him to facebook, I hope to come across Boom Nabu again (question alter ego).  After browsing the camera footage on the train ride home, I decided I quite like using a rubbish camera..kinda like a lomo you never know what you're going to get.  Tonight (after many hours of sleep!) there will be a well planned and well executed operation to ensure I succeed in seeing; The Morning Benders, Fang Island, Neon Indian, Hot Chip, Peaches, Lali Puna and We Have Band.  All tonight, no exceptions and traffic regulations aside..one word dominate.  I apologize for using capitals but it just makes it more exciting and more official ahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment