About the Relle

Born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand I was nearing my completion of the tried and true steps to becoming an adult. University? check! Job of 2 years? Check! Living independently away from home? Check! Ready for something more challenging and a whole lot bigger than Auckland, I moved to Berlin in April 2010. As a Kiwi, avoiding an OE is about as unlikely as Tom Cruise converting to sanity, although choosing Berlin made for a pretty bold move. Not being ready for adulthood and frightened by the multitude of friends marrying and contemplating children..it was time to gap. Armed with very little comprehension of the German language but a big yearning for all things unknown we set off on one big year adventure. I aim to provide insight into life on the other side and hopefully convince all those doubtful kids out there that you can conquer Berlin!


27 July 2010

Sunday in the Dam

Riding through the Dam I tremble with anticipation at what this City will offer me over my 4 night stay.  My train is making peculiar racing car noises, the tram driver initially forgot to take my fare money,we pass a group of shady looking young blokes and as we pass H&M even the clothing models look as if they've been on the Koosh.  Is it in light of knowing cannabis is freely sold and freely smoked that I'm seeing the red ring in the eyes of everybody I walk past?  Or is smoking cannabis the most common passtime next to cycling through the streets?

Once I arrived at my accommodation I couldn't escape fast enough.  Destination "The Flying Pig", in my opinion the owner had only one real motive for not installing any ventilation in the pokey underground common room-slash-smoking room...Hotttttttttt Boxxxxxxxxxx!  I explored the neighbouring park Vondelpark as I waited to check into my room.  The edges of the park were littered with dodgy individuals (my judgement based on the content of their conversations with themselves).  I questioned the safety of my exploration mission as I drifted through the hazy smoke and stepped over and around the hundreds of comatose bodies sprawled on the green.  Joking!! Gross exaggeration there were pockets of dog walkers, cyclists, families holding hands, a dash of peculiar scents with a sprinkling of limp bodies on the green. 

Morning 1 in Amsterdam
To be continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment